It’s about moderation.
Responsible tanning is at the heart of everything we do at Tan Republic. As a Smart Tan Certified company, we are trained to deliver the most positive experience for all clients, and we uphold these standards:
- Controlled Exposure. Trained operators properly maintain UV tanning equipment and control all tanning exposure times to minimize a client’s risk of overexposure and sunburn.
- Eye Protection. Tanners are required to use FDA-compliant protective eyewear, which minimizes the risk of eye injury.
- Proper Evaluation. All clients undergo comprehensive evaluations, including identifying their sun sensitivity (skin type). Clients with sun-sensitive skin that cannot tan (Skin Type I) are not permitted to use UV tanning services and are directed to use non-UV spray tanning.
- Sun Sensitivity. Clients are taught about photosensitizing medications, which can potentially make a person more susceptible to sunburn.
- Outdoor Education. Clients are taught sunburn prevention and the appropriate use of outdoor sunscreen. This education, combined with the fact that a tan is nature’s protection against sunburn, is why indoor tanning clients are up to 81 percent less likely to sunburn outdoors as compared to non-tanners, according to surveys.
- Balance. Clients are presented with material outlining the potential risks of overexposure to UV light.
- Sanitation First. Tanning equipment and client areas are cleaned and sanitized by a trained staff member prior to every tanning session.
- Teenage Standards. Clients under age 18 must have a parent’s written consent prior to tanning in a professional tanning facility, unless local regulations stipulate otherwise.
- Spray Tanning Safety. Cosmetic spray tanning complements UV tanning as a professional salon service. Professional salons are educated in all aspects of spray tanning procedures.